The SpaceSensor© (left) has a 40-year cable-based sensor heritage. The 3D hover sensor was developed in the 1980s to monitor helicopter hover dynamics (high-resolution graphic).
Engineers Reduce Design Time with SpaceSensor© 3D Displacement Sensor
New cable-actuated displacement sensor gives 3D coordinates from compact housing.
PALMDALE, CALIFORNIA USA -- Engineers needing 3D motion data have less to worry about with the new SpaceSensor© 3D displacement sensor from SpaceAge Control. The SpaceSensor© solves the problem of how to affordably monitor 3D motion when a contact sensor is required.
Engineers can monitor three dimensions of movement today via 3 separate sensors. However, such an arrangement can be unweidly, expensive, and prone to significant system integration expense. The SpaceSensor© provides an out-of-the-box 3D displacement sensor that takes less than 10 minutes to install.
Preliminary applications for the SpaceSensor© include:
- vehicle accident investigation/documentation
- aircraft and ship docking monitoring
- aircraft refueling
- earthquake measurement
- flight simulator sensors
- 6DOF actuation platform sensors (Stewart platforms and similar)
- box / package / crate dimensional measuring
- aircraft repair documentation
- corrosion initiation and growth monitoring
"The SpaceSensor© lets the design team focus on systems integration," said Miller Keith, Operations at SpaceAge Control. "By giving designers 3D motion tracking capability in a contact sensor, time-to-market is improved and the application achieves its sensing objectives with a lower mass, lower power draw, and lower installed cost."
Key SpaceSensor© features include:
- fast setup in less than 10 minutes
- variety of interfacing options to include RS-232, USB, Bluetooth, software API, and front panel LED
- application-specific accessories such as mobile tripods and wrist lanyard to reduce fixturing and increase ease of use
- affordable price relative to 1D, 2D, and 3D alternatives on the market
The SpaceSensor© is the first in a series of new 3D displacement sensing solutions available from SpaceAge Control. Other products include the Space Digitizer and Space CMMLite.
Established in 1968, SpaceAge Control is an ISO9001:2000/AS9100B-compliant company leading the displacement and air data sensing industries with stock and engineered-to-order products. Located in Palmdale, California USA, SpaceAge Control's high-precision and durable products are used by over 200 companies spanning the globe including aircraft manufacturers, racing teams, vehicle manufacturers, and motion control-oriented OEMs.
# # #
- High-Resolution Image A (jpg)
- Photo caption is "The SpaceSensor© 3D displacement sensor gives engineers an easy way to monitor motion that occurs on 3 axes.".
- High-Resolution Image B (jpg)
- Photo caption is "Range, elevation, and azimuth are the outputs from the SpaceSensor©'."
- High-Resolution Image C (jpg)
- Photo caption is "The SpaceSensor©'s heritage includes a hover sensor developed in the 1980s used for helicopter flight test that provides 3 dimensional data.".
- Data Sheet (pdf)
- Tom Anderson, Operations
- SpaceAge Control, Inc.
- 38850 20th Street East
- Palmdale, CA 93550 USA
- 661-273-3000 Ext. 102, 661-273-4240 (fax)